Montessori is Zen


What wonders can a simple break do? I was lost in my new career for the last six years. While learning the ropes and exploring new avenues, I did lose track of time and my blog. A small break has made me reflect on how many new things I have learnt in the last six years. The new career has helped me see things from a different perspective – that of a school teacher. Do I see a smirk on your face asking me what’s the big deal? Wait! Here’s why it was different to me - Now, I am a Montessori adult. Confused?

Well, all of us love to “teach” others anytime and anywhere. That seems the easiest thing to do because, under the pretext of sharing our knowledge, we indulge ourselves in flaunting our actions and achievements; and most of the time, it ends up just as a bunch of advice and empty boasts handed out for gratis. It maybe a little hard to stomach but we all know that this is the truth.

However, when I took up the role as a Montessori teacher, the task at hand was not an easy one. There is no teaching in Montessori schools; instead, children are only allowed to experience knowledge. What?! You can’t teach at a school??! The role of the adult is not a teacher but only a facilitator for children to arrive at their own understanding. Also, as there are no term examinations, there is no pressure on them to write any timed tests for them. Ah! Seems an easy job for the teacher, isn't it? Wait, there's more!

The fact that you have to inspire children to learn on their own using various materials is a complete change in the way we know teaching. The adults are expected to only show them how to use the materials. It is also the task of the adult to prepare the environment (that’s what a Montessori classroom is called) in such a way that it is beautiful, attractive and inspiring enough for children to choose their work. Boy! Whatever happened to those daily timetables? Here I was, who is lazy to even spring clean my own home, spending time decorating my classroom. And the classrooms are usually of mixed age groups children and hence, in the same class, we have children who fall into various grades in a traditional school assembled together. Quite challenging!

The next big challenge is the no-exam proposition. Whether you have exams or not, assessment of a child’s performance is mandatory and after all, isn’t it the prerogative of a parent to know how his or her child is doing at school. With no exam sheets or marks, there are no progress reports to hand over instead a long narrative report explaining the progress of the child in every area is given. And how do you do that? By meticulous observation of the child’s work on a daily basis. And in a class of 30-35 children managed by two adults, the task of writing reports for 15-18 students every term was a great learning experience for me.

I had been a journalist for over two decades, with experience both on the field and at the desk, so writing reports was not a tough task. But what made the difference is the content. My journalist job required a basic level of general knowledge, a nose for news and the ability to interpret things based on the information gathered to file a news item for the day. Also, there were always a handful of seniors and desk people to oversee and ensure the copy was engaging and error-free. Thanks to all those invaluable and invisible colleagues!

But this experience at school was a radically different one. As there are fewer Montessori-trained elementary adults, I had to jump into serious work from day one with no “seniors” to guide. Against the practice of drawing inferences from what you know, this job called for acute observation of every child across the day and noting them down in a format that was understandable even after three months. And here I am, who finds it hard to read my own hand if I fail to elaborate on the notes before the day ends. Shhh..!

I found the Montessori theory and observation practice as a form of Zen. It calls for extreme patience and intense observation of every child letting go of all prejudices. It is about what one observes rather than what one thinks he sees. I learnt the difference between seeing and observing; hearing and listening; knowing and experiencing. It has dawned on me that seeing things objectively without prejudice resolves many problems. The virtue of patience and waiting for things to happen at their time is the crux of life. The joy of letting go and loving from a distance is truly a divine experience. Isn’t that what Lord Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita?

Coupled with the pandemic which threw some harsh realities, my teaching tenure has taught me to savour the life around me rather than rush through it. And here I am pausing to reflect on my life with a cup of chai by my side and my favourite song in the background!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Menopause and MasterChef

The breakfast conundrum

A Steamy Story