The breakfast conundrum


If you are gloating over solving the day’s Wordle on your third attempt, try the daily breakfast/tiffin conundrum. For someone like me who hates cooking, this is the worst puzzle that tires me out at the start of the day.

Most of you may have your favourite word to start solving the daily Wordle puzzle. The keyword that you rely on to find the word of the day in minimum attempts. Similarly, I have one for my breakfast riddle. But this one’s usually towards the end. After exhausting the options of Idli, Dosa and Pongal, this serves as my saviour of the morning dilemma. Yes! You guessed it right!

As copy editors, we were always taught this universal thumb rule to follow when editing a story: When in doubt, cut it out. Similarly, I follow a standard proposition to crack my tiffin conundrum: When everything is out, bring upma out.

Ah! Was that my son frowning at me? Never mind. That is a universal reaction from most people across the country. I have never understood why a breakfast item as simple and as versatile as Upma elicits such contempt from many. When Mamas and Thathas have nothing to forward in the family WhatsApp group, they dig up some Upma joke to send to all. I strongly condemn that!

What beats me is why people disparage this rustic dish for no reason. It is my personal favourite. It is the trusted companion of many folks who rustle it up in a jiffy when everything else fails. The dish is so complete that it needs nothing alongside, unlike its counterparts that need chutney or sambar to go with them. Even dried-up Idlies can be turned into tasty Upma!

This modesty and minimalism have made Upma a staple dish across the country. Though Upma is the most generic nameit goes by other names such as Uppittu (Karnataka), Uppindi (Telugu), Saanja (Marathi) and Rulanv (Konkani) too. Come to think of it, it is no less than a national dish!

A good Upma can neither be watery nor dehydrated, not too oily or dry and not have veggies that are mushy or raw. Achieving the right texture for the dish is an elusive one. It is like a spiritual practice that you master only through repetition. Once you grasp the technique, it opens a host of options; Upma can be made with sooji, semolina, wheat, rice, poha, oats, millet, corn, bread, or quinoa, each offering a unique taste. When mixed with vegetables, it also becomes a nutritious meal for all those calorie-conscious and weight watchers. Now, I should remember to sell that point to my husband!

To me, Upma is an embodiment of spiritual knowledge. Let me elaborate: When we put various ingredients in the hot oil to prepare the dish, some splutter, some darken, some quietly sink it all in, and some use the heat to their advantage to become tastier. Isn’t life the same? When faced with adversity, some people throw tantrums, some complain, some wilt, while some bear it all and become better. Once the water and the base material of one’s choice are added, they blend to form a tasty dish. Similarly, when we let spiritual thoughts into our minds through any chosen path, we let go of our prejudices and mingle with everyone. 

As I pat myself on that thought, I feel a slight tap on my shoulder. “Why are you staring at the fridge with its door open for so long?” asks my husband. “Maavu (batter) illaya?” he asks with a tinge of horror spreading on his face. Just then, my son scoots off to work, declaring he does not want breakfast today.

What do these mundane folks know about the greatness of Upma? Their time is yet to come! 


There is no sincerer love than the love of food. - George Bernard Shaw

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Itz my favourite & saviour too….appidiye saapidalam
bijoy said…
Zen and the art of justifying upma!
-Bijoy
Unknown said…
Upma my favorite always ...especially when some body else makes it for me ;)
Anonymous said…
Wow super even yesterday night I prepared Upma only same reaction I got as you said, immediately my son asked me what side dish I gave him a stare and just said oorga 😃😃😃🤙
Lakshmy Vaidyanathan said…
Upma any day! With a spoon of ghee.. heavenly 😋
G Nirmala said…
Love your style of writing!
Upma couldn't have been better described, and finally your comparison of Upma and man's situation is really awesome.
Keep writing ✍️ ✨️ ��
G Nirmala said…
And sorry the last two question marks are errors, pls ignore.
Anonymous said…
Really well described and written Sree. I loved the way you explained it's preparation and comparison to spiritual self. Upma an awesome dish!!!

Vimala

Popular posts from this blog

Menopause and MasterChef

A Steamy Story